Last year, Labor made a commitment to run a national consultation on phasing out the importation, manufacture, sale and advertising of cosmetics or cosmetic ingredients tested on animals.
Submissions for this policy consultation have now closed. We will now be reviewing submissions and will produce a report in the coming months.
For your reference, the Committee was particularly concerned with the following questions:
- Should the sale and manufacture of cosmetics tested on animals be banned in Australia? Why or why not?
- What would be most effective and efficient way of banning these practices?
- What changes would need to be made by industry and government to comply with bans?
- How would such bans be policed?
- Are there any additional implications we should be aware of:
- For industry?
- For government?
- For the community?
- What would be a realistic timeframe for compliance?
- Is there anything else you would like the subcommittee to take into consideration when thinking through this issue?