A Shorten Labor Government will end Scott Morrison’s Medicare freeze in our first 50 days of government.
- A Shorten Labor Government will end the Liberals’ freeze on Medicare rebate indexation on 1 July 2019.
- It will be one of the first acts of a Shorten Labor Government.
- Labor will invest an extra $200 million in Medicare to end the Liberals’ six-year rebate freeze a year early and make health care more affordable for all Australians.
- Ending the Medicare Freeze means that Medicare rebates for more than 100 GP items – including family counselling, urgent after-hours care, mental health care and Aboriginal and Torres Straight Island health checks – will start going up again.
- Labor believes access to health care should depend on your Medicare card, not your credit card.
- Labor created Medicare and we will always protect and strengthen it.
It will be one of the first acts of a Shorten Labor Government.
We will pay for it by making multinationals pay their fair share and closing tax loopholes used by the top end of town.