Member for Bendigo
Shadow Assistant Minister for Workplace Relations
Shadow Assistant Minister for Rural and Regional Australia
Lisa Chesters MP is the Federal Member for Bendigo. She was first elected in 2013.
In her first term, Lisa has helped deliver:
- Federal funding to the upgrade of the Ravenswood intersection, Bendigo Aquatic Centre and Bendigo Airport project.
- The Bendigo Thales’ Hawkei contract.
- The roll out of the NDIS.
Lisa has been particularly vocal on important local issues including:
- Securing and creating jobs and stopping the abuse of temporary foreign work.
- Proper high speed broadband.
- Labor’s Your Child. Our Future plan for better schools.
- The importance of community inclusion and tolerance.
Lisa is co-convener for the Parliamentary Friends for Early Childhood, chair of the Labor Caucus’ Fair Work Taskforce, and secretary for Country Labor, which promotes the welfare and potential of rural and regional Australia. She is also a member of the House of Representatives Standing Committee for Health.
Lisa’s first speech to Parliament reflected on the successes of the Bendigo region. She also spoke of her experiences growing up as the daughter of migrant small business owners, and advocated for public health, education and workers’ rights. Lisa loves central Victoria and is often seen around town volunteering at the Bendigo Farmers’ Market, walking her dog Flash, and buying her trademark double shot espressos. Lisa is a keen cello player, interested in the arts, gardening and reading.